Saturday, November 14, 2015

Buddha Forced Me To Be His Friend


I have over 1000 friends on Facebook, not to count those whom I "unfriended",  and 99+ more waiting for friendship approval. Scrolling over every friend requests, first, I check if I know him/her, and if yes ... depends on me to click the confirm button or not.

If the person is unknown, a total stranger, no mutual friendship, I look for his/her personal details...how many friends in his/her friends’ list, browsing through photos, his/her interest and every possible background that could be acquired. If every information is satisfying and my instinct shows that the person is not fake and worth a friendship, then  he/she is welcomed to my FB page.

Precaution needs to be taken seriously before making virtual friends as a lot of Cyber Crimes happen all around the globe. 

A women was jailed for becoming drug distributor and the investigation reports showed the she was forced by her husband/boyfriend (a foreigner met her online, fell in love, got married and ultimately, proved a drug distributor).

Similarly, several other unexpected stories about how two persons met on social media, became friends , fell in love and then got cheated. In my view, only those who are desperate and less confident having no common sense, fall under that spell. These are my personal point of views. 

As usual, one day when I opened my Facebook page, I found one new request poped out of my notifications. “Fazal Khaliq??” – no mutual friend, “no way to become a friend with a total stranger,” I whispered. However, when I peeped into his profile picture and information, I noted  Mingora was where he was from.

“Mingora?” I questioned.

Since my general knowledge is just at the level of a drop of water, I never really knew about that town’s (or should I calle it a city?) existence but my curiosity made my way to another new google window and word by word typing in it.

“Where is Mingora” –  Oh, he was a Pakistani. Mingora is situated in Pakistan. As far as I could remember, I did not even have one single friend from Pakistan.

“This must be another scam,” my cautious mind spoke in wonder.

“I am not done yet” another thought came alive telling me that it was totally based on biasness to judge people from their countries.

Browsing through and checking any possible information, I went to  the“About” section in his Facebook profile to look for movies he watches, types of music he likes and books he reads and also pages he was into.

“Well, most of the time, only honest persons share matters like that. For strangers who want to hide such information – “sorry, I am not interested in accepting such type of person,”I immediately decided.  

Buddha’s Brain : The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, love was one of the Pages that he “Liked” in his Facebook Profile and my instinct convyed to my brain, saying that the man was a good person since he reads the Buddha’s teaching - assumption that played in my mind. Another wire of the brain lit up making another assumption telling that he was an open minded type of person.

“Since, he is Pakistani (automatically a Muslim), yet he  likes the Buddha pages,” my mind was struck.

Soon I learnt that Buddha’s teaching was originally from Pakistan.

“He is a good person – and if he’s not or if I dont’ feel comfortable chatting with him later, I can always block or unfriend him,” my mind kept telling and influencing the nerves to accept his friend’s request – so I did. Yes I did eventually!! – its not a victory I know but I am surprised that I accepted a stranger’s friend request because of Buddha’s.

Today, we are good friends, though virtual but in real sense and I am happy. “Buddha, guided me in finding a good friend,” my inner self always asserts.


~Mea~

*Edited by Mr.F



No comments:

Post a Comment